On Friday, February 17, 2017, Strike4Democracy will coordinate over 100 strike actions across the United States, and beyond, to plan for a series of mass strikes to stand up for America’s democratic principles. As the nation suffers through ICE raids, travel bans, Trump’s mobilization on the border wall, as well as attacks on the rights of workers, women, people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, and our environment, February 17th provides a beacon to those who are searching for a way to protect and defend our shared humanity. People across the country have begun to realize that we must diversify tactics, as protests and marches are only the first step.
What YOU can do
- Don’t Work (If you can). Instead plan or take part in an event in your community:
- Plan/Participate in a Day of Service
- Join with other like-minded folks and occupy public space with positive messages of resistance and solidarity.
- Do not purchase anything.
- “#BreakLunch” Use your lunch break to disrupt and participate:
- Use social media to show how you #BreakLunch. Tweet, FB, Instagram, and Snapchat messages that support democracy. Include hashtags #BreakLunch, #GeneralStrike, #F17
- Donate your lunch money that day to cause you believe in. Post about it and use those same hashtags.
- Get creative and show the world how you #BreakLunch
- Reach out to your representatives in Washington DC or your state and tell them why you are “striking” today, and post about it using strike related hash tags.
- If you are a teacher or student, please consider participating in the Teach-In on Democracy. Keep your students engaged.
- This is not a National Day-Off; we’ve got work to do!! Get out and get busy!!! Be Peaceful! Have fun!